What Are Special Insurance Types For Commercial Vehicles? 

Much like a trucking company, if you operate a large vehicle you will need a special kind of insurance to operate legally on the roads. Examples of large vehicles could be bigger buses, limousines, or trucks equipped to carry people. 

For instance, if you had a party bus company and operated a bus that could carry more than 16 passengers you will need to get a coverage that is equivalent to 5 million dollars. If you have a vehicle that carries 15 or fewer then that number goes down to 1.5 million, but that still is an extra coverage you will need in order to operate.

If you operate within a single state without crossing state lines and won’t be carrying people, insurance coverage might be a little cheaper than a vehicle that operates interstate. Driving deadhead or Bobtail can create a strange situation in where you do not have a load (dispatched or not) and are liable for anything that can occur on the drive. Since most rigs can cost in the ballpark of $100k or more depending on what bells and whistles you get, you don’t want to be caught without coverage if your rig were to get in an accident or cause injury while not hauling any weight, bobtail, or deadhead.

Most companies require their contracted drivers to get this type of insurance while under contract, and it is beneficial since it fills in the cracks that are in Bobtail Insurance and Non-Trucking Liability Insurance plans. Having this coverage helps prevent the potential of your insurance company telling you “I’m so sorry but this is not covered, due to X”— with an Unladen Policy you are always covered when not pulling weight, but always ask your agent for details on what kinds of different coverages you are looking for! 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: